What to Do When Someone Dies
When a loved one passes away, please call us at the Chapel as soon as possible at 905-527-4351. We are available to you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. We will immediately make arrangements to have the deceased transferred into our care whether it’s from home, hospital, nursing home, or anywhere in the world. One call to us begins the process. We will meet at the chapel to complete the funeral arrangements including choosing a casket and completing the necessary Provincial forms. If you are not affiliated with a synagogue, we will assist you with a Rabbi and cemetery arrangements.
Let Us Remove the Worry and Stress
We realize that at this time it may be very difficult to focus. We have put together a checklist of information that you will need to gather, so that we can assist you in a timely and professional manner. Some of this information will be asked of you when you make the first call to the funeral home so our staff can assist you properly from the start. Even our telephone answering service will ask you some basic questions as well. Basic Questions asked of you:
- Name of deceased
- Date of death
- Time of death
- Hebrew name of deceased
- Social Insurance Number of the deceased
- Where the deceased is located (Hospital, Hospice, Home, or Nursing facility)
- Phone number or address where the deceased is located.
- Legal address of deceased
- Date of Birth, and Place of Birth
- Occupation of the Deceased
- Father’s name, Mother’s name and Maiden Name
- Hebrew name of Father & Mother
- Marital status
- If married Wife’s name and maiden name
- Informant’s name (person giving information), address, and relationship to deceased
- Burial plot information (Cemetery Deeds or license, telephone numbers of contact persons, Burial Society information)
- Provide the deceased’s tallis or UHMC will provide one.
- Information to bring with you to the funeral home:
- Cemetery deed or license information
Obituary Information: We encourage our families to write the obituary for the deceased because the obituary will be more personable, and contain the information that you want in it. If you would rather the funeral home write the obituary for the deceased, we will gladly assist you. Information needed for the obituary:
- Any memberships or involvement in organizations, Synagogues, etc.
- Survivors of the deceased, spouse, children, grand/great children, brother, sisters, etc.
- Any family statements that you wish to have included in the obituary.
- If you wish, an organization to which donations in memory of deceased can be made. Include name of organization and phone number.
- The location of Shiva and the time of prayers, if you want to mention this in the obituary
11th December 2017